Tuesday 4 February 2014

Evaluation: Q7) Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Looking back to the preliminary task back in September, I have improved a lot regarding the creation of my magazine. In the preliminary task, I used Photoshop to create the school magazine which allowed me to solidify my knowledge of the programme.

When it came to making my final magazine product, we used the programme InDesign which allowed us to create an improved and professional look. As the whole programme's sole purpose is to create magazines, it was clear as to why we should use it - there are a wide variety of tools to use opposed to Photoshop where there are only the minority. When it came to taking images for my preliminary task, they lacked professionalism and I didn't take into consideration the poses, costumes and props very well.

The photos, I feel, finalise the whole magazine and if you end up with a bad set of photos then it will highly influence how professional and successful your magazine becomes. When it came to my real photo shoot, I prepared a lot beforehand unlike how I did for my preliminary task as I wasn't very prepared at all. I planned out exactly what photos I wanted and planned all of the outfits and make-up and hair looks beforehand so I knew what my cover and overall magazine would roughly look like. I took over 200 images in total, so I had a wide variety to choose from in contrast to the preliminary task where I only had around 5 images to choose for the front cover!

As you can see from the comparison of my two front covers, the preliminary magazine lacks realism unlike my music magazine which looks similar to other music magazines on the stalls. My progress mainly came from looking at a huge variety of real music magazines and using their codes and conventions and adapting them to my style of music. This meant that I was sure that my magazine would be as successful as other top magazines on the market. The main skill that i gained between making my preliminary task and the real thing.

Planning also made a huge difference when it came to the whole creation of my music magazine. When we created the preliminary magazine, we weren't given a lot of time to plan, prepare and organise exactly what we wanted our magazine to look like, or plan the features such as the images, sell lines etc. When I planned for my music magazine, I made sure that I had a list of contents ideas, sell lines and a well-written article as well as a draft drawing of the front cover as I didn't want to fall back into the same hole that I had with my preliminary magazine. This meant that the content of my magazine fitted in very well and effectively with the genre and overall vibe of my magazine.

Overall, I definitely learnt how to enhance the magazine's quality and professionalism opposed to my initial school magazine for my preliminary task.

No comments:

Post a Comment