Tuesday 4 February 2014

Evaluation: Q4) Who would be the audience for your magazine?

The audience that I hope to appeal to are males and females aged between 16-24. My magazine is targeted towards both genders as it contains features that appeal to both. I believe that my age range is effective because they are very engaged with music, especially upcoming artists opposed to older generations who seem to lean more towards popular and well known musicians. Those younger than 16 are less likely to listen to listen to indie/alternative music as they usually listen to pop and chart music which differs to my genre. Also, the language used in my magazine can sometimes be too explicit for those under 16 years old.

My target audience varies from young adults to mature adults within the social class of ABC1 so it caters to a lot of people. The typical individual of this audience tends to follow the latest trends and keep up with new styles and upcoming artists as well as popular artists too, which are all big features that I would like to highlight in my magazine.

I researched into my target audience and the age, gender and what they would like to see inside my magazine and built my project around the feedback I gained. I received gender neutral feedback, 50/50 female and male so that my magazine isn't biased or gender specific as it aims to cater to the widest audience that it can.

My chosen audience are also the younger generation that are heavily influenced by the social media, and tend to spend the majority of their time online using social networking platforms like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. The use of social media is mandatory for my magazine as it will help to develop the magazine further and create personal relationships with the readers and it fits within their demographics; I have included logos of various social networking websites on my contents page as well as dedicating a page to the social networks so that the readers can view other people's views as well as even seeing their own. The other logo that I have included on my contents page is a QR barcode, which allows smartphone users to be directed to the magazine's website instantly.

Models and content of my magazine also played a huge part in whether or not my audience would read my magazine. I feel that using a female model was very successful as it attracts both genders of the audience as well as everyone within the age range - males would find her attractive whilst women would look up to her as an inspiration. I used my friend, Ruth, as she has a very distinctive look which I feel represents the magazine very well whilst also appealing to my target audience, and I thought that she was perfect for the style of magazine that I wanted to create. The content I included was very typical of those who listened to my magazine would be interested in. These included: festival and gig listings, album and single chart and reviews and the latest news from top artists.

I think I succeeded in creating a magazine that appeals directly to my target audience as once I had slowly started to gain feedback, I found that the majority of the comments received back were all positive and demonstrated how the audience felt that they could connect with the magazine very well. It also portrayed how the audience would enjoy and even purchase my magazine, which was very encouraging as it confirmed how I had created a magazine which fulfilled all the necessary requirements and can even go up against existing and extremely successful music magazines such as Q.

The psychographics of my magazine will apply to lovers of music festivals, 'fan girls', merchandise collectors and those who enjoy reading and being kept up to date with the latest news and information about music and their favourite artists. I believe that my target audience will fit within the 'mainstreamer' and 'reformers'; they are very individual and independent people who do not like to follow the crowd. Their social habits will be consumption via hard copies from shops such as WHSmith and newsagents, as well as reading online or on apps as they enjoy to be 'on the go'.

No comments:

Post a Comment